Beacon Rock State Park
Located in the heart of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, Beacon Rock is the core of an ancient volcano. The mile-long trail to its summit provides outstanding panoramic views of the Columbia River Gorge. The park has over 20 miles of roads and trails open to hiking, mountain biking and equestrian use.
Historically significant, Beacon Rock was originally named by Lewis and Clark on their expedition to the Pacific Ocean on October 31, 1805. It was near Beacon Rock that they first measured tidal influences from the ocean on the Columbia River.
In 1811, Alexander Ross of the John Jacob Astor expedition called the rock Inoshoack Castle. The rock was known as Castle Rock until 1916 when the United States Board of Geographic Names restored the name to Beacon Rock.
Henry J. Biddle purchased the rock in order to build a trail to the top. The trail was built, and in 1935 his heirs turned the rock over to the State of Washington for use as a park. Additional development was done by the Civilian Conservation Corps.
The main campground has 26 tent sites. It is an older camp in a forested setting suited more for tents than RVs. There are a limited number of sites that accommodate RVs over 20 feet. This campground closes seasonally.
The Woodard Creek Campground has five utility sites that provide electricity, water and sewer. Follow signs off Highway 14 (near mile post 34) to the watercraft launch area; follow the signs to the RV campsites. The sites have a maximum length of 40 feet. These campsites are open year round. Photo ©Washington State Parks.